Thursday, August 10, 1995

It’s 10 after 10 right now and my hands are trembling from not eating anything but bread and chocolate for a few days (I had a small pizza yesterday) and my eyes are red and swollen from lack of sleep. My body is sweaty from sitting in a box with 6 other people on yet another fucking 7 hour train, but even worse is that it itches from the salt water yesterday. Haven’t washed my hair since the Pink Palace so the salt is just eating away at my scalp. My feet hurt from I don’t know what- they just do. We spent 8 hours on a boat that was so windy we had to strap our shit down and woke up every ten minutes because our sleeping bags would blow away.
Arriving at Athens at 5:30am we had to walk to the station (1/2 mile) and wait there for 3 hours until the train came. Now we have until 3:30pm to stay in a seated position with our legs at 90 degrees and our arms at our side, with bread, water, and chocolate to eat. Then we try to find a hostel, but we’ll probably end up camping on the hard ground with no showers, no pillow, setting up the tent, blazing heat, no wind, bread water and chocolate to survive. And after rolling in our tent all night long with 1 hour of sleep we get to pay $10.00 for sleeping in someone’s campground. Another day of yawns. Why can’t they lay the tracks down sober.  I swear on my left nipple that they use square wheels just to piss us off. Fucking Greeks.
I wrote a postcard to Bob yesterday. I think he knows that I don’t like it here anymore. Maybe. I paid fifty cents to pee today, but it was worth it- they give you 5 squares of TP with your paid subscription. Haven’t shit in 3 days. Maybe it’s because I never had to go or was too damn tired to go. Or maybe it’s because I need more than 5 squares of goddamn toilet paper to wipe my ass. I’d ask for six but it would probably fuck up her cost calculations. But being the bright little bunny that I am I kept the five pieces and so the next time I take my 50 cent piss and 5 squares I’ll have plenty of squares to go around. Hell, I might just be in a courteous mood and leave the remaining squares on the broken toilet seat so that the next guy only has to pay 50 cents for a shit rather than my $1.00 shit. Yeah, that’s what I’ll do. Maybe tomorrow. I can hold it. Or maybe just half- I do have 5 squares.

No comments:

Post a Comment